I Planned the Trip, But I Couldn't Plan the Connection
I feel like I can’t be myself anymore. I was so excited for our anniversary trip because I imagined it being a chance for us to reconnect—no kids, no chores, no responsibilities. Just relaxing, exploring a new place together, and enjoying each other’s company.
Instead, it felt like the entire trip revolved around what he wanted to do. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy the beach too, but I also wanted to explore the city, experience the culture, walk through the shops, and make memories. We spent an hour walking around Old San Juan, but he clearly didn’t want to be there. He looked so unhappy that I eventually left because I was tired of feeling like I was dragging him along.
Every day became the same routine: beach, shower, get ready for dinner, spend an hour or two at a restaurant, and then return to the condo for the rest of the evening. I love to dance. I would have loved to grab a drink somewhere, listen to music, and dance together for even an hour. But that never happened. He says the vacation was about me, but I struggle to understand how when every decision seemed centered around what made him comfortable.
What hurts is that we spent all this money to travel somewhere beautiful, yet it felt like we spent half the trip sitting inside a condo. We never wandered around just to see what we might find. We didn’t explore the city at night. We didn’t seek out new experiences. He preferred sitting in the room drinking, which is exactly what he does at home. We had no responsibilities, no schedules, and complete freedom, yet it felt like we were living the same routine we could have had without ever leaving home.
I also found myself feeling invisible. Not once did he tell me I looked pretty or compliment me when I got dressed up. There was one night in particular when I felt beautiful, and I kept hoping he would notice. He never did. He never offered to take pictures of me either. Everywhere I looked, I saw couples taking pictures together, husbands capturing moments of their wives enjoying the trip, making memories they could look back on later. I took pictures of him, but it never seemed to cross his mind to do the same for me.
One evening after dinner, we stopped for a drink because I brought it up, and his attitude hurt me so much that I spent the night fighting back tears. Then we came back to the room, and suddenly he wanted intimacy. I had brought special things on this trip because I wanted us to have fun and connect, but after feeling dismissed and upset all evening, I had no desire to be close. It’s hard to switch from feeling hurt to feeling desired in a matter of minutes.
The hardest part is feeling like I’m constantly compromising while he rarely does the same for me. I’ve become someone who says yes to whatever he wants because I don’t want to argue or ruin our time together. I keep my feelings to myself because I know that if I push back, the mood changes and the trip suffers. But the more I do that, the more I feel like I’m losing myself.
I keep asking myself why my wants and needs seem to matter so little. Why is it so difficult to spend one evening doing something I enjoy? Why does compromise feel so one-sided? I would gladly do things outside of my comfort zone if it meant making him happy. I do it all the time.
What makes this even harder is remembering how different things felt on our honeymoon in Jamaica. He danced on the beach, let loose, and seemed genuinely happy to try new things. He stepped outside of his comfort zone and embraced the experience. This trip felt completely different. For five nights, it was the same routine over and over again: beach, dinner, condo. Nothing spontaneous. Nothing special. Nothing that felt like the celebration I had imagined.
What makes it even more frustrating is feeling like I am responsible for creating the entire vacation. I am the one researching restaurants, finding places to eat, suggesting activities, and trying to make sure we experience something beyond sitting in the condo. If I didn't plan things, who would? We went to the rainforest because I bought the tickets ahead of time without even asking him. We spent an hour at the casino because I suggested it, simply to get us out of the condo for a little while longer. It feels like if I don't take the initiative, we do nothing at all.
I find myself carrying the mental load of not only planning our trips but also trying to create memories. Meanwhile, he seems perfectly content doing the same thing every day. It leaves me wondering if he ever thinks about what would make me happy or what experiences I might enjoy.
One of the things that hurts the most is how much I love to dance. I know he is capable of letting loose because I've seen it before. When we've gone out with friends and everyone is dancing, he'll get out on the dance floor with me. But lately I've started to realize that maybe those moments weren't really about us. Maybe he danced because his friends were there dancing with their wives or girlfriends, and he felt comfortable joining in. What I don't understand is why he can't do that when it's just the two of us.
We were in Puerto Rico, surrounded by people we would never see again. We could have been just another couple on the dance floor enjoying the music, laughing, and making memories together. No one was watching us. No one cared. Yet even asking for one hour at a bar to have a drink and dance together felt like too much.
What confuses me even more is hearing all the stories he tells about his younger years—the crazy things he did, the risks he took, the adventures he had. Yet now, as a grown man on vacation with his wife, he can't seem to step outside his comfort zone long enough to dance with me for an hour. I'm not asking for something wild or unreasonable. I'm asking for connection. I'm asking for effort. I'm asking for a shared experience that makes us feel like we're actually enjoying this life together instead of simply passing through it side by side.
Comments
Post a Comment