I Shouldn't Have to Choose
I keep asking myself the same question: why does it seem like every relationship I'm in eventually has an issue with my friends?
With my ex, I understood why. He was controlling. He wanted to control every aspect of my life, and that included who I spent time with. He didn't want me to have close friendships, especially with men, because isolating me meant he had more control over me.
But this feels different.
When my husband and I first started dating, he wasn't a fan of my friend Josh because they had gotten into an argument one night, and Josh had previously had feelings for me. Eventually, they worked through it, and that became a non-issue.
Now it's Hags.
My husband has known Hags since the beginning of our relationship. He was in our wedding. We've gone out to dinner together. He's come over to our house to play games. There was never a problem in 3 years.
Until recently.
The best way I can describe Hags is that he's like the annoying little brother you don't necessarily want to be seen with in public, but at home you still care about. He's socially awkward, lacks confidence, and sometimes needs help navigating conversations and friendships. Over the years, I've introduced him to my other friends, and now he's part of our group.
I've never once looked at Hags in a romantic way. Honestly, I never will. He is the complete opposite of what I've ever wanted in a partner. He has no confidence, no real goals, no ambition, he's lazy, we have nothing in common besides food, and his appearance. He's simply one of my best friends.
To me, he's family.
He looks at me like a sister, and truthfully, I'm one of the only people he has. I'm the one who invites him places, answers his phone calls, and checks in on him. Yes, he drives me crazy sometimes, but I also know what it feels like to think you have nobody. I refuse to let someone feel completely alone if I can help it.
We've been friends for 8 years.
Now I feel like I can't answer his texts, return his calls, or invite him to hang out because the moment I mention his name, my husband gets an attitude.
He says I must have feelings for Hags. That I secretly want to be with him because he's a "yes man."
Nothing could be further from the truth.
Anyone who knows us would laugh at the idea because they know it would never happen. Not because Hags isn't a good person, but because there has never been that kind of attraction between us. The thought of anything romantic or sexual with him honestly grosses me out.
I've never given my husband a reason not to trust me.
What hurts is feeling like I'm expected to change who I am and distance myself from someone who has always been there for me just to keep the peace.
I've never asked my husband to stop talking to his friends. There are people in his life I don't particularly care for, but I still treat them with kindness and respect. I don't make him feel guilty for spending time with them because I would never want to control who he has in his life.
Technically, my husband has never told me I can't be friends with Hags.
But sometimes actions speak louder than words.
When every mention of his name causes tension, when I know bringing him around will lead to an argument later, I start avoiding him altogether. Not because I want to, but because I don't want conflict in my marriage.
That leaves me stuck in this constant gray area where I feel like I'm choosing between my husband and one of my closest friends.
That's not fair.
Hags has been there through some of the hardest moments of my life.
He was there when my dad died.
He was there through my breakup with my ex.
He was there when I lost my grandma.
He stood by me through everything that happened at the prison.
Even during times when I lost people I thought were lifelong friends, Hags never walked away. He never judged me. He never abandoned me.
Now I feel like I'm failing to be that same loyal friend to him because maintaining that friendship creates tension at home.
My friends are my family.
I don't have the kind of relationship with my family where we get together for holidays or dinners. I don't call them when life gets hard.
I call my friends.
They're the people who show up.
They're the people who celebrate birthdays with my kids, buy them gifts, check on us, and help when we need it. Hags is like an uncle to my children. If I needed someone to watch them, help me in an emergency, or simply be there, he'd be one of the first people I'd call.
I have three friends I know I could count on no matter what.
Three people who have stayed through distance, life changes, heartbreak, and everything in between.
Those friendships mean everything to me.
So why do I feel like I have to lose one of them?
What hurts even more is wondering why my husband can't trust me.
Why can't he see that I love him? Why can't he believe that I would never do anything to jeopardize our marriage?
I've always been an open book with my friends. We talk about relationships, marriage, sex, embarrassing moments—nothing has ever been off-limits. That's just how our friendships have always worked.
Recently, because I talked with friends about Hags dick size, my husband has convinced himself it means there's something more between us.
There isn't.
We've talked openly about all kinds of things for years. I used to openly talk about my nipple piercings with friends, and my husband never cared. Back then it wasn't an issue.
Now, suddenly, this is.
It feels like he picks and chooses what to be upset about, and I can't understand why this friendship has suddenly become the target.
It's become more than just Hags—it feels like every little interaction gets analyzed and turned into something it's not. For example, at my son's birthday party, I asked Hags if he wanted another sandwich before I asked my husband. To me, it wasn't a big deal. I know my husband. I know he doesn't usually eat much, especially when we're in public places because of his stomach, so I already knew what his answer would most likely be. I also assumed that if he did want another sandwich, he would simply say so. But instead of seeing it for what it was—a simple question to a guest—he took it as proof that I care more about Hags than I care about him. That's what hurts the most. It feels like innocent moments are constantly being turned into evidence against me. I find myself defending things that never needed defending in the first place. When every small interaction is given a deeper meaning that was never intended, it becomes exhausting because no matter what I do, it feels like I'm always doing something wrong in his eyes.
At the end of the day, this isn't about Hags.
It's about trust.
It's about feeling like the person you married believes in your character.
Because if 8 years of friendship without crossing a single line isn't enough to prove that this relationship is purely platonic, then what will ever be enough?
Comments
Post a Comment