Taken for granted
Does anyone else ever feel completely taken for granted?
Sometimes I look around at all the things I've bought, planned, and done for the people I love. The gifts, the experiences, the countless ways I've spent my time, energy, and money trying to make life happier and more enjoyable for my family and friends. Then I think about all the things I could have done for myself instead.
I've never been someone who puts myself first. I genuinely love taking care of the people I care about. It's one of my greatest strengths, but if I'm being honest, it may also be one of my biggest flaws. Somewhere along the way, I think I started doing so much for everyone else that it became expected rather than appreciated.
I love my family more than anything. I love my kids. I love being a wife and a mom. But sometimes I wonder if anyone sees me as more than the house cleaner, the cook, the grocery shopper, the laundry folder, the planner, the organizer, or the ATM.
What if, for once, I was simply thought of as Mom? As a wife? As a person with feelings, needs, and dreams of my own?
Instead, I'm often told I'm complaining, crabby, mean, or that I expect too much. Those words hurt because they don't reflect how hard I work to make sure everyone else is happy, comfortable, and cared for.
The truth is, I'm constantly thinking about everyone else's needs. I'm always worrying about everyone else's happiness. And sometimes I find myself wondering: who's thinking about mine?
I don't need grand gestures. I don't need expensive gifts. I just want to feel appreciated. I want to know that the love, effort, and sacrifices I make every day are seen. I want to know that I matter, too.
Comments
Post a Comment